Ok, so Paleo Pasta may be a bit to get page views. Normally, I’d call it Carrot Pasta or Carrots instead of Carbs, but the internet seems to be in favor of paleo right now. This recipe is also vegan if you want it to be!
7-8 carrots, turned into pasta
2 (rounded) tsp garlic seasoning rub
1/8 c liquid oil for the carrots (I used olive, but nut oils would also work here)
1/8 c oil to sauté (I used olive here also, but coconut would work well)
2 small or 1 medium onion, chopped
3-6 cloves garlic, chopped (depending on your taste)
1 c stock of your choice (this is where you go vegan or not)
1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
1. Turn carrots into pasta. I did this with a magical pasta maker, but this can also be done with a standard vegetable peeler
Magical pasta peeler (aka julienne peeler):
Regular vegetable peeler:
1.5. If you don’t have a favorite garlic rub, here is mine: 2 cloves minced garlic + 1/4 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2. Toss carrots with liquid oil and garlic rub
3. Roast carrots for 20 mins at 425F. Unlike most roasting, the carrot pieces can be piled on each other
4. Put other 1/8 c oil, chopped onion, and chopped garlic in a sauce pan over medium low heat, mixing intermittently
5. After gently sautéing for 3-4 mins (the garlic and onion should be making noises and smell delicious), add the 1 c of vegan-or-not stock
6. When stock starts to bubble, add can of tomatoes
7. The sauce is done when it all starts to bubble, it can be turned off (the carrots should be almost done)
8. When the carrots are done, juice the lemon over the carrots (before adding the sauce)
9. Serve & enjoy!
Note: Plan about 3.5-4 carrots per person. This recipe serves about 2, with some sauce left over.