Warm, comforting, full of flavor, a little spicy, and even low fat! Potato & leek soup is also a relatively easy way to sneak a few extra vegetables into your dinner plans.
2 small or 1 medium Russet potato(es)
2 small or 1 medium sweet potato(es)
5 cloves garlic
4 c broth or stock (I used my frozen stock cubes)
1 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried chiles or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp peppercorns
3-4 bay leaves
0. Add frozen stock cubes to pot and put over low heat to melt
1. Peel and dice potatoes, add to pot
2. (Peel and) dice carrots, add to pot
2.5. Turn heat up a bit above medium
3. Finely chop garlic, add to pot
4. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pot
5. Add chiles or cayenne pepper to pot
6. Grind rosemary, peppercorns, and 1/2 tsp salt (either using a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle), add to pot
7. Finely chop and clean leeks
**I do this by cutting the leeks in half, then again in quarters. After chopping slicing thinly, put the leek pieces in a large mixing bowl and cover with water. Use your hands to separate all the pieces and agitate a bit to get all the dirt out. There will also be some grit on the cutting board and knife; I do the leeks last so I can use the same cutting board for everything.
8. After potatoes and carrots have simmered for about 10-15 mins (they should be soft), add clean leeks and bay leaves
9. Simmer until leeks are soft
10. Serve and enjoy!
Bread is pretty delicious with this; I like to put a bit of olive oil on a few slices and heat in a 350F (toaster) oven for 5-7 mins